Game 93: White Sox at Tigers

by billfer on July 18, 2006 · 11 comments

in 2006 Season,Game Post

PREGAME: This game has certainly received considerable hype. I vowed earlier in the year not to overdo a game or series, so I’ll stick to that. Each game is important. I’ve heard repeatedly today the debate about which team is under more pressure. The reasoning for the Tigers is that they need to show they can beat the White Sox. While this may be a little true, who do they need to show? If they need to show themselves, I can see it. If they need to do it to make you, me, or Dupree believers then it’s bunk.

As for the matchup, the Tigers send out Nate Robertson. Three of the four starters to go since the All Star break have come out rusty. We’ll see what Nate does.

As for the White Sox, they’re sending out Jon Garland. In his last start against the Tigers, he labored through 7 innings on 124 pitches while being touched for 6 runs. Last hope the Tigers can have the same type of at-bats tonight.

POSTGAME: There wasn’t a lot to like about tonight’s game. Nate looked wonderful at times, but there were a number of hard hit balls off of him. On the other side, Detroit couldn’t muster much offense, and the few hard hit balls they had ended up in Jermaine Dye’s glove.

The key moment was probably Paul Konerko’s first homer. The Tigers had managed to scratch out a run the inning before, only to give it right back on the next batter. And then the Joe Crede homer and so on and so forth.

{ 1 trackback }

{ 10 comments }

Brian A. July 18, 2006 at 7:48 pm

crap on a poopstick

Shawn in Tokyo July 18, 2006 at 8:11 pm

So far, a humbling game…:S

Steve July 18, 2006 at 9:11 pm

I was hoping, as were you that the Tigers came out popping. Such was not the case. Kind of a boring game. I really hope they turn it up a notch for Wednesday. We need to get going early and put these guys on their heels. I wonder if its just mental,

Good Night………….

Steve

DR OCTAGON July 18, 2006 at 9:18 pm

Nate looked strong in the first inning…then he just fell apart

Jared July 18, 2006 at 9:44 pm

We lose three, were still up by 1.5 but still, lets win at least one

Scott July 18, 2006 at 9:56 pm

we were still close when it was 4-1; Konerko’s 2nd HR was the coup-de-grace. But it seemed like every time we hit a ball hard, it was right at somebody’s glove. When they hit it hard, they fell in the gaps, or went down the line. Such is baseball. Let’s pick up the pieces and get ‘em tomorrow night.

Tater July 18, 2006 at 10:00 pm

Look at the silver lining: sure we got killed, but at least most of you didn’t have to watch the Sox broadcast — ugh.

Apropos of the rampant trade talk, this was in tonight’s post-game notes ib ESPN’s recap: “Detroit manager Jim Leyland said, barring something ‘freaky,’ a Tigers beat writer had a better chance of managing the team next week than Detroit had of acquiring Philadelphia outfielder Bobby Abreu.”

Jadefalcon July 19, 2006 at 7:57 am

What a nightmare…
Their pitching is better than our hitting, and their hitting is better than our pitching. The Tigs have to find a way to win this series.

Marshall in DC July 19, 2006 at 8:38 am

Tigers need to win at least one game. While it won’t make or break a season – I would hate to have the Tigers playing the Sox in the playoffs and thinking to themselves – There is no way to beat them and get desperate at the plate.

Kurt July 19, 2006 at 11:36 am

Most of the series, the teams looked even, but the Sox would get the one needed hit to put them over the top and win by a run. Yesterday, well, nothing looked even. But that happens in baseball.

By all measures, these teams look to be pretty even to me. They beat the same teams, lose to the same teams. We’ve got better pitching, they’ve got better hitting, and both teams are pretty dang good. To me, the only thing I can come up with, is it’s a mental thing. I don’t know how they’re going to get past that one.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post:

Switch to our mobile site