The only nice thing about the games being on the West coast, is that it gives me time to gather up all the interesting stuff I’ve seen while I wait for the first pitch.
- Chris Shelton’s hot start hasn’t only drawn a lot of attention to himself, but to Pittsburgh GM David LIttlefield. Littlefield finally commented on his decision to not protect Shelton on the 40 man roster following the 2003 season.
- Beyond the Boxscore was inspired by Shelton’s hot start to take a closer look.
- Shelton continues to gain recognition from national media with two pieces on SI.com. He’s also FoxSports.com’s Man of the house.
- And finally it appears that Deadspin has decided on a nickname for Shelton. They’ve chose the unfortunate and unflattering nickname of Sloth, inspired by the character from Goonies. I think I’ll stick with Big Red or simply Chris Shelton.
- In non Shelton news, if you haven’t already read the Hardball Times piece on Tiger Stadium, I encourage you to do so. Brian already linked to the article so it may be old news for you. The piece attacks the Detroit government, which I can fully support.